Re: Re: Tarnils

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 11:29:50 -0700

> >Yikes, no. Deezola is not linked to CA at all and IO was a
> >Buserian! There is no LM cult in Peloria.
>
> We're talking mystical links. If you're arguing that IOs background
> as a Buserian is so incredibly important that it precludes any link
> with an extremely similar cult, then why isn't Yanafal's Humakti
> bacground just as important?

Not to say who is or isn't related to each other...

Part of the problem is the history of Glorantha as seen through the lenses of Runequest and Herowars. 20 years ago all we knew of the Orlanthi Pantheon was embodied in the RQ rules (The cult of Orlanth Adv.), and Cults of Prax (OA again, plus Storm Bull, Humakt, and the Lightbringers). Looking at the Pantheon now, we have all sorts of gods lying around - where the heck did Vanganth come from or Elmal, for that matter? Who the hell is Nandan, or Ana Gor? Arguing from old material is simply going to be futile when new material comes along, and Martin, Wesley and Mark *are* bringing new material forward, that will make us re-evaluate what the CoP writeup of 7 Moms said, or even the HW rules version. When all we had was Humakt, all other Death gods get compared to/attached to/contrasted with him. In much the same way as the God learners, we (20th Century humans playing a game) made a lot of connections between the gods that we now know to be false. Expect to see a lot more of such "discoveries" as more material comes out.

One way to read the RQ-era material about the 7 Moms is to see it as Lunar Missionary Propoganda: "Yes, all the 7 Mothers were followers of your gods, but they were healed by the grace of the Goddess" - the same sort of thing as saying "Yes, St. Brigit is a good Catholic Saint" (totally whitewashing any Pagan Associations she once had...)

Roderick