Re: Gods

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:44:59 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/2001 7:06:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

> Excellent post by Roderick. Objectively, I agree with the "it's
> Lunar propaganda" / St. Brigitte theory.

T'is a good theory

> My gaming group is all "old-time" RQ platers, including Ray Turney
> and John Holmes. Attempting constructive criticism, one of our
> problems with HeroWars is that too much of the material seems to be
> ignoring or contradictory to earlier Gloranthan stuff.

When writing new Glorantha material, believe me, we try to make the material fit older stuff, even when it flies in the face of logical human behaviour and outcomes.

>There's just
> tons of interesting older stuff that could use explanation or
> enhancement. (Like why Carmanians even worship pagan gods)

This will be detailed in a LOT of depth in the ILH on the Carmanians, ILH 3 from the looks of it. We have done a lot of work on it and Greg has been thinking on it with help from Nick and others.

>Instead,
> there really seems to be much of an "oops, that's screwed up, lets
> just throw in a skillion new gods and cover up the mess" approach.

I think the new gods add the detail and depth to the cultures we so badly needed to see. The more the merrier I say, as long as they match and build on previous work.

> I'm exaggerating for emphasis, but there are too many new cults of
> little interest or even negative interest. Elmal has always struck
> me as an abomination.

Elmal is an painful issue, but I can see why Greg needed to go in that direction and the good (as well as bad that everyone goes on about) things that have come out of it.

>Danfive Xaron used to be interesting, I worry about it's future.

DX was interesting? Since when? There were maybe a dozen lines written on the cult in CoP and other than that there is little in the way of information anywhere else. Even Gods of Glorantha didn't have any detail on the cult. It was lumped into the 7Ms ubercult. The ILH version of DX will have subcults and a full history. Look for a lot more info on that deity and all the 7Ms.

Martin Laurie