Comments

From: morganconrad_at_...
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:45:38 -0000

Martin writes:

>That is entirely your own personal view. I asked your advice for an
>objective view on what you would put in the Lunar book, you are
>commenting as if this were your personal campaign instead of a book
>designed to appeal to a broad church.

Advice can never be truly objective. Still, my best effort at objective advice it to de-emphasize the "offbeat" cults. You seem completely unwilling to accept this as honest advice.

>Yet you want detail on a Gerra cult that people are less likely to
>play than a Avarnia cultist. You have me confused.

IMO, very few PCs will play either. (Though who knows, this debate may inspire them!) But a Nathan or Sedenyan etc., a much more likely type of PC, cares about what Gerra did mythically. If Kallyr has to do some heroquest vs. a past incarnation of the Goddess, she will likely care about Gerra.

>So new Lunar cults, an exploration of the Empire, its ways, its
>military, its structure and its laws have no appeal for you then?
>I suppose we could just bin all that and write a 40,000 word thesis
>on the Tarnils cult...

This is a deliberate, gross distortion of what I've said. No point responding if you won't argue in good faith.

>To base your entire argument of what should be
>included in a LUNAR book on two ORLANTHI NPCs

For now, the documented Heroic opposition to the Empire is basically the Sartarites. Those running a Sartar campaign, (or Pentans or Fronellans for that matter, once they get more detail) will definitey care about Yanafal, probably not Avernia. Now, maybe in future books, the Kingdom of War will really care about Avernia as some myth is explored, if and when that happens, add a supplement.

Now, I'll agree, my definition of "important" should be expanded to "Cults that likely enemies (external or internal) of the Empire care about". Kallyr is an archetype of one such enemy.

>the Lunar cults should be seen from an Orlanthi perspective!!!!

Again, I said no such thing. I said that the Lunar cults that receive emphasis should be those that are also interesting from the Orlanthi (now changed to opposition) perspective. But they should be written from a Lunar perspective.

Look at it this way - the history of Peru from 1939-1945 is undoubtedly interested from a cultural, completeness perspective. But most people read and write books about other places during that time. Especiialy ones with words like "hero" and "wars" in the title.