Re: Odalyan Beast Charms

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:56:08 -0700

Andrew:

>Has anyone done any work on detailing more Beast Charms available >to Odaylans ? Either on the web or as a summary that can be sent >to the list ?

I have some rough notes (ha!)of animal totems and animal symbolism in the Far Place that one day might become part of an article on the the central hero cult of the Animal Twins.

It's intended to be Far Place specific and also of more general than just Odaylan beast charms, but you might find the listing useful.

I hesitate to call it even a draft, so please feel free to correct, expand or comment. The entire field of animal totemism and symbolism is largely unexplored.

The draft is pated below, but will also put an RTF file in the files area.

Hope this helps

John

Animal Totems, Animal Symbolism and Beast Charms

Animistic links to the animal and elemental worlds form a solid substrata of Far Place Orlanthi tradition, linked into the dominant pantheon by the hero cult of the Animal Twins, and that cult's links to Odayla and the Lady of the Wild.

The following hunting quests take a variety of forms, and are not just restricted to Odaylan beast charms.

Personality changes are often minor and secondary.

These are from Storm Tribe:

Beast * Primary Challenge * Ability / Gift * Personality

Badger Stubborn Digging Grumpy
Deer Archery Alert Jumpy
Eagle Climbing Keen Eyesight Proud
Rabbit Stalk Alert Lusty
Thrush Hide In Cover Sing Vain
Waterfowl Stalk Eat Mud Noisy
Wild Cattle Wrestling Strong Slow-witted Wild Pig Running Smell Food Short-tempered Wild Sheep Jumping Know Weather Stubborn

And these are parallel Far Place rituals and quests.

Initiation

These are minor quests with wide, general applicability, performed in small groups. Jumping Mouse (young men) and Brush Sow (young women) form part of the preparation for initiation, and the quest journey is the second most make as adults, directly after their initiation journeys to Storm Home.

The teachers gain:

Jumping Mouse Wakefulness Teach Boys Quick-tempered Brush Sow Insight Teach Girls Patient

The initiands themselves gain:

Jumping Mouse Wakefulness Learn From Mistakes -- Brush Sow Insight Perceive Secrets --

Four Stream Voices

This follows Odayla's Godtime quest of the Three Element Dance (see Taroskarla). The skills required are based on the myth.

Turtle Stillness Longetivity Patient
Teal Net Innocence Joyous
Otter Club Thieving Playful
Foam Eagle Spear Darting Speed Vain

Heralds of the Covenant

Performed in sequence over seven years by a male/female couple. Each quest involves hunting the Beast Ancestor on the godplane, then living (and mating) as the animal for the year. (Whether or not this involves physical as well as mental transformation is a cult secret).Success brings seven animal spirit children, the title 'Herald of the Covenant', and power over the elemental and animal tribes of the uplands. The only successful questers to date have been brother and sister, and usually twins. During the quest, the two heroes are in an incestuous relationship, and so outlawed/taboo. Unsuccessful questers must be hunted and killed.

Jumping Mouse Innocence Attention to Detail Fasidious Bearded Raven Watchfullness Know Death Courage Water Wolf (1.) Swim Nurture Breath Astute Horned Boar Set Spear Charge Foe Wrathful Pronghorn Run Speed Adaptable
Cave Bear Wrestle Healing Sleep Sombulent Covenant Deer* Call Know Wilderness Calm

(1). River Dragon.
* only hunted by Odaylan devotees.

Others

Auroch** Ritual Combat feat Courage
Badger Dig Speak to Ancestors Distracted Black Bear Wrestle Sense Sacred Time Unreliable Beaver Trap Craft skill Industrious
Forest Bison Drive Wilderness Road Restless Boar Spear Power Energetic
Blue Boar Spear Sense Secrets Moody
Coyote Trickery Sense Sacred Profane
Red Deer Spear Vinga feat Flamboyant
White Deer*** Stalk Earth Secret Mysterious Earthshaker Drive Earth Secret Inflexible Elk, Giant Drive Wilderness Knowledge Aloof Red Fox Net Camoflague Elusive
Frog Agility Transformation Content
Griffin Climb Command Noble
Wild Horse Lasso Close Combat Virile
Lynx Spear Follow Trail Solitary
Squirrel Climb Guile Contradictory
Wolf Spear Know Weakness Cowardly

Blackbird Call Sense Omens Fearful
Crane Net Fulfillment Happiness
Goddessbird Stalk Healing Joyful
Haggar Net Movement Restless
Hawk Net Air feat Restless
Heron Net Divination Distracted
Owl Net Night Vision Predatory
Partridge Net Maternal Loving
Water Crow Stalk Watchful Alert
Raven Net Communicate Gloomy
White Stork Net Water feat Empathy
Swan Net Ritual Perceptive
Red Vulture Climb Purification feat Vigilant Woodpecker Net Weather Prophecy Noisy

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

The chanting of the sons of Uisliu was very sweet. Every cow or beast that heard it gave two thirds more milk. Any person hearing it was filled with peace and music. Their deeds in war were great also.