Hiding Evil in plain sight

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:08:28 -0000

Hi all.

The discussion about hiding intent in the Greeting got me thinking. I'm puzzled by one thing in the TR explanation of hiding guilt from the gods.

How do underground, hidden cultists manage to hide their membership in enemy cults for any period of time? It seems like Krarshti (for example) must have ways of existing in normal society, yet normal society is apparently full of people who have trouble baring themselves to their "cover" deities.

I realize that Pelorian society is different, with much more communal worship. So I see how Krarsht and other nasties can survive there. But how do they manage in Heortling lands, or anywhere where virtually the entire adult population is initiated?

Many good stories go out the window if it isn't possible for a well-respected community priest to actually be a servant of the Evil Gods. It's also more interesting if Tien, Atyar, Thanatar, Cacodemon, and even Malia or Annilla worshippers can take roles in society aside from that of outcast and obvious enemy.

Thoughts? Is it all just Concealment and Hiding affinities?

Mike