Re: Hiding Evil in plain sight

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:34:57 -0000

Good point about the lay worshippers. The one crazed devotee with a coven of lay worshipper to provide communal support both works out well rule-wise and makes for a good game "bit" since you can have only one truly evil villain supported by deluded rubes.

> If they are devoted enough they may get chosen as initiates, but
that's the point where they have to choose which path they'd like to follow - mainly because it'll show up at the next Orlanthi or Ernaldan ritual.

I agree that most individual Orlanth or Ernalda initiates couldn't cover up their initiation in another cult. I see four groups that could conceal their initiation to an evil god:

> > Still, over time it gets harder and harder to cover especially as
you
> > further develop your new gods virtues......
>
> ...until the "day where you must choose" comes (aka. your
initiation day).

I was thinking more of those groups above, since the virtues of most of the "evil" gods are not the same as those of the more widely accepted deities, this could become a clue. The entertainer who's stories/songs/puppet shows whatever become more and more about cruelty and suffering and torment, for example.

> > > Many good stories go out the window if it isn't possible for a
well-
> > respected community priest to actually be a servant of the Evil
Gods.

> I think Maximum Game Fun is an excellent reason for an illogical
concept to be true inside a game world.

I don't know about illogical, but at least improbable. But aren't heroic stories all about dealing with the improbable?

--Bryan