Re: Re: Hiding in Plain Sight etc...

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:46:34 +0000

>Yes, but this seems tyo miss the point of "tangible". A loved one
>perhaps beong in heaven is highly intangible; your illness being
>cured is at least debatable. But none of these are on the scale of
>the lightning bolt proposed for contrast.

So how come people still believe in religion? How come people believe their own religion is better than the tangible benefits of science?

The point is that to those who believe, the benefits are REAL. Maybe you can't prove that your loved one is in heaven, but the comfort that comes from believing so is real. Intelligent, educated people the world over believe in all sorts of things which can't be proved objectively.

And anyway, why do you believe the lightening bolt does come from a god? Is it perhaps a cheap gimick given to you to tempt you into a pyramid buying scheme, where evil sorcerors tap your soul? I can make electricity jump very well without Orlanth or any of his sort. Doesn't prove anything about the religion, which is where we started all this.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson