RE: Dragons in the West

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:39:37 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Greg Stafford wrote:

<snip>
> >Ah. There was talk, years back on the GD, of how Chaos manifests in
> >different societies. Praxians and Orlanthi seek it out and find it, so
> >they get lots of monsters.
> I see.
> I don't buy that.

Ok. Good to hear. It was a bit subjective anyway.

<snip>
> >So does the west have Broo, Dragonsnails and such quite like the
> >Orlanthi lands?
> Those do occur int he west. Of course,they have their own unique critters
> as well. Chaos is inconsistant, but various things among the category do
> exist better or more commonly within different eco-zones. That is, the
> various chaos monsters tend to be found in more specific regions.

Parhaps we'll see some references in the coming Sorceror Knights?

> >Just read essense.
> So you meant to ask:
> >Or perhaps in the west, chaos manifests as breakdown of logic and virtue
> >(not that different from above) and soul destroying essence entities in
> >the magic planes that can escape into the mundane world. Truly alien and
> >insane creatures of magic, ranging from the irritating and strange to
> >the apocalyptically destructive.
>
> Chaos does not come from any of the standard planes. It does not exist in
> the God, Spirit or Sorcerous Planes. It is, in general, from its own plane.
> However, it doesn't have a plane per se.

Oh. I tought chaos has polluted all of the otherworlds to some extent. Is it just a problem in the inner world then, the magical worlds staying free of it's taint?

<snip>
> >> The dragons were still alive and worked voluntarily with the Waertagi.
> >Much better! That's how I've run it anyway, but I thought that may be a
> >bit heretical.
> When the GL tried to do this they used the same sorceries, but the sea
> dragons never acquiesced and they never succeded in making the ships.

So it's a symbiotic relationship, or at least the dragons are volunteering and co-operating on some level.

<snip>
> >Roger on that. All in all the Dragons seem to have much less influence
> >in the West, the Seadragons being the exception, of course.
>
> Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.
> Surely significent dragons existed, as intrusions, especially in the mythic
> time periods of Danmalastan.

Enough to be remembered in stained glass windows and stories at least. Surely there's a St. George style dragonslayer to be found somewhere in the West. Or parhaps several.

        -Adept