Re: Re: Heortling men and their beards

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:13:04 -0500

David Dunham wrote:

> James
>
> > Looks like the Nefarious Lunar Beard Stealers will have to appear
> > another time.....
>
> Because?
>
> Just because Heortling men don't see their beards as representing
> their virility doesn't mean they will take kindly to someone else
> doing some impromptu barbering. (I think it's part of the King David
> story in the Bible, where some ambassadors get their beards shaved as
> a sign of disrespect.)

And, of course, there could always be a clan that takes the beard of a defeated enemy. Such a thing might even deprive the victim of vitality/power/strength/virility/whatever and transfer it to the victor or his clan.

Hmm! I like this idea. There's room for a lot of small, struggling clans in the Far Point and Volsaxi lands who might turn to such a myth for survival.

I seem to recall the 'Castle of the Beard' being a rather disturbing encounter in Pendragon. The knights would take the beard of any knight defeated, costing them honour, dignity and a very, very sore face.

--
Jeffrey Kyer
BESI Interim Change Management (EP) / Consultant