Re: Poet and Priest are Beginning to BOOM!

From: Nasty Goblin <goblinredux_at_...>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:17:38 -0500

You have to respect a rant... ...especially when it lacked the bitterness and invective which so often accompany it's like. Bravo.

> My plea is: don't be scared to create your own responses to Glorantha, and
to share them around. Waiting for the next supplement to appear is *never* going to answer all your questions,

It's a good plea, as far as pleas go. More to follow.

> Over the years I've run Sartarite campaigns... ...and where Argrath was a
scheming
minor Colymar noble called Shrike.

And I have _no_ idea what you are talking about. And in my own shotgun-pattern way I've been following Glorantha since RQ II (not bragging, just reinforcing my point).

I could give you a 20 or so word summary on most Gloranthan cultures (northern hemisphere only please) but it would be filled with "ish" and "kinda like" In the end My Glorantha would resemble that most recently roasted concept... ...D&D, the Lunar Edition.

But Doug, you self-centered boy... ...this isn't about you.

Sure. But in a way it is. Because I'm prolly not alone on this list in this regard, and if I want to even _pretend_ to want to run a game in Glorantha there are a _lot_ of questions which need to be answered, and although I've been GMing for a long time, GMing in Glorantha is something that makes me fairly uncomfortable.

And maybe _that_ is the problem. I get the feeling that I'm standing on the shoulders of giants.

Now, for the players, things aren't so bad. I _really_ liked the "What My Father..." and "What my Priest..." of previous games. I thought they were inspired and have stolen the idea for countless game introductions.

> I also sometimes perceive a creeping 'librarian/priest' mindset, and an
over-reliance on 'experts' and awaited official products.

I'd agree whole-heartedly. I'd also add that there is a common perception that any game, once its publishing run is over, is as dead as some very dead thing.

Doug.