Re: Picking brains

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 23:04:17 -0800

Ian asks about Amazons.

There's been a lot of new archaeological and literary evidence made available in the last decade that's added a lot to our understanding of amazons in history and myth. A lot of it is available over the web.

The specific case you're seeking is the celibate, elite shock troops of the Dahomey (West Africa) king, who fought the French and others in the late C19. A good recent reference book is:

Alpern, Stanley B. 1998. Amazons of Black Sparta: The Women Warriors of Dahomey. New York University Press.

An excellent overview of the role of women in war is

BATTLE CRIES AND LULLABIES: Women in War From Prehistory to the Present. By Linda Grant De Pauw. 1998

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

Desperate ducks commit desperate acts!