Re: Revealed Mythologies?

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:56:15 -0000

Jeff Kyer wrote:
> So, has anyone seen a copy of this? Comments?

I have (always strange how post to UK seems to be better than post to Canada).

So far I have only read the Western section, I've still to get round to Palmatela and Vithelia.

That said my impressions are:

Artwork and Presentation: Might be considered unfair to comment on this for a 'work in progress' but the art is great and the layout and presentation clear.

Accessability: For those worried that it may be a deep source like Fortunate Succession or Glorious Reascent of Yelm this is at a far more general access level. Certainly from the Malkioni section it is a summary of the key events of the mythic and historical periods and a glossary of important places and people. It represents a good overview for what is for me territory I have yet to really get into.

Impression: It's also good to see that the strength of Glorantha's mythic landscape is being retained in these regions. The Malkioni section has done much to reassure me that the West will not turn out to be just an Arthurian setting. And while I have only browsed it I'm particulary looking forward to reading the Palmatelan section as much of this material looks refreshingly new to me (though that maybe my European ignorance of African myth). Can't really comment on the Vithelian section yet, but again, this material all looks fairly unique. Hopefully we will all get to see product set in Palmatela and Vithelia one day.

Usability: Great material for anyone who enjoys reading Glorantha, and good for getting an appreciation that the Orlanthi and Pelorian mythology are not the only 'truth'. Adventurous narrators could use the Palmatelan and Vithelian material along with that other WiP Missing Lands to create campaigns in the East and South. World spanning campaigns could use the material as could those who have visitors drawn to the Dragon Pass area by the prophecies of the Hero Wars. Narrators who want to send their heroes on heroquests in alien worlds will find this material useful background.

Other: The Palmatelan section reveals some SECRETS ;-) (No, I ain't telling).

Anything else anyone wants to know?

Ian Cooper