Re: Head count

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 16:06:22 -0600

John Hughes says:

>To take the head of a fellow Orlanthi however, is another matter entirely.
>Its very risky, and such a provocative act that it could easily involve your
>entire clan in a deadly and unforgiving feud.
>
>To take someone's head is to steal part of their breath, and possibly
>prevent their spirit from taking its proper journey. It also dishonours the
>corpse, and prevents kin from making proper ritual and funery rite.

        I find this a little difficult to believe. Head-taking was once pretty common among the Orlanthi, right? "The Fox King" on Nick Brooke's site claims that taking heads just marks you as really old fashioned. Surely the practice can't be that dire.

        I seem to remember a thread about this earlier this year....

>In taking a head, you bind some of your opponent's breath to yourself, and
>this can manifest in increased strength and courage or in other unexpected
>and not always positive ways. It is also uncomfortably close to chaotic
>behaviour, and might be judged as such if tried by a no-herd or a
>stickpicker, so only a known and respected warrior would normally be bold
>enough to risk it. Publicly taking a head makes you open to armed challenge
>at any time.

        I don't see it as a binding as much as proof that you were the better warrior.

>Otherwise, I'd see it up there with rape, herd mutilation, stead-burning and
>slaughter of wives as an extreme act of provocation. YGMV.

        Now in places familiar with Thanatar, it's probably a lot less acceptable to be this "old fashioned," but I don't see head-taking being against Orlanthi law, especially if you hang them from the walls of the Chief's Hall or display them in the shrine, or do something "proper" with them. As opposed to carrying them around and talking with them....

Peter Larsen