RE: Clans question

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 09:34:40 -0800

HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com wrote:
> Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:46:23 -0000
> From: "elysia69" <elysia69_at_...>
> Subject: Clans question
>
> After playing the fascinating (if way too difficult) KoDP I want to
> play a clan based game.
>
> So...
>
> 1) Do roads in Sartar go through clan property or between borders?

Through.

> 2) If through do you have to ask permission to pass through tulas
> when you are not stopping?

Yes.

> 3) Are the King's Roads like interstate roads, passing around
> settlements?

I don't think so. Sartar built the roads to link his new cities. Having said that, I don't think the King's road passes down the centre of any villages. It would (originaly) skirt the edges.

> 4) How do you raid someone far away without fighting every clan
> between you and them.

Many borders do not touch. There is land between clans that nobody claims. The land is a rugged one with lots of forest cover so it is easy to move small groups around without being seen. GEtting home again with the booty is a different question though. :)

> 5) With the Hero Wars rules for Wyters is it impossible to run murder
> mysteries?

Yes.

> 6) Does the Wyter speak in riddles like divination (can it be
> ambiguous)?

Wytrs don't usually speak at all. They will rattle things or make the clan's alynxes howl. The Cheiftain will know that there is trouble because the wind chimes are singing, and there is no wind. The effect is specific from wytr to wytr and easily recognised by the locals. What the trouble is is something that they then need to figure out.

If you were to run a divination to speak to it then I think that it would speak in riddles. More fun that way.

> 7) Can a Wyter's attention be misdirected while some other mischief
> is taking place.

I dont' see why not.

> 8) Would a Wyter alert the Chief if there were unauthorised, non-
> violent, social contact across borders, say, love affairs, football
> matches, smuggling, etc?

I don't think so. Smuggling, if it was harmful, but the rest are not really the wytr's area of responsibility.

The wytr only knows about things that happen on the tula. If the love affair involved a member of an enemy clan and that lover came onto the tula then the wytr may report to the chief that there are enemies on the tula.

This could be a very amusing situation. :) George Gwandori is having a picnic with his lover Jane Gorde on the gwandor tula. The gwandor wytr goes apeshit and rattles the captured Gorde banner in the chief's hall - rattles it so hard the banner falls off of the wall. The fyrd is called out in a hurry and the weaponthanes go thundering about on horseback trying to find out where the invasion is...

> 9) Do clan members ask permission before going to another clan's
> fairs and markets?

>From their own clan or from the visited clan? You always ask permission
from the visited clan before you enter their tula. From your own clan, you may need to ask permission if what you are intending on trading is communal property.