Re: Uses of Magic (was Roads, Better Vingans)

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:16:31 -0600

From: "morganconrad" <morganconrad_at_...> To: <HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 1:09 PM Subject: Uses of Magic (was Roads, Better Vingans)

| In the Vingan thread, John postulates that the large sword is
| magically enchanted to move as light as the wind. I much prefer the
| simpler solution of just making it smaller, so as not to worry about
| whether magic can break the laws of physics, and, if it can make the
| sword have less mass, does it do less damage, in which case, why
| bother making it so big to begin with? :-)

I don't remember where I read it, but making weapons look larger than normal is one of the ways weapon-enhancing magics work, according to one of the rule books; can't remember which one now.

| Roderick postulates that the Sartarites expends lots of Earth Magic
| to maintain their roads.
|
| I know that Glorantha is highly magical, yada yada, but there must be
| limits and opportunity costs. If you are spending lots of MP
| maintaining a road, you have less MP to fight off Malia, make the
| apple trees grow, stop those cold winter winds, etc.
|
| So, partly out of personal preference for simplicity, partly due due
| these tradeoffs, I'm leery of just saying "it's magical" to enhance
| relatively mundane, uncritical things.

The roads themselves were created by Sartar's magic, weren't they? And they were critical to the formation of the kingdom. Just as the Popes were styled "Pontifex Maximus" (great bridge builders", I would postulate that Sartar's heirs have road-mending magics.

Guy