Re: Re: Roads in Sartar, Apple Lane's Sheruff

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:22:03 +1300

At 13:25 18/01/02 +0000, you wrote:

> > The only problem with this is that the political structure of
> > Sartarite cities is known but they have mayors and not sheriffs.

>The Cities have Mayors (who presumably "report to" the king as it
>were), but the Sheruff reports to the mayor for those settlements
>that are outside of the "city walls" but are beholden directly to the
>city rather than one of the tribes, perhaps?

There's no sign of such a structure in KoS. Instead we are told that the Cities are governed by City Rings made up of the constituent tribes. So the city does not need any territory outside its walls (and in apple lane - there's no indication that it's run by the city).

>What I'm really
>suggesting is that Apple Lane is quite a "new" settlement, taking
>advantage of the travellers along the road (which is how it supports
>the Tin Inn and Gringle's Pawnshop) rather than an old clan
>settlement - and this is why it is not a "typical" village

In Sartar, all* "new" settlements would belong to the clan on which they are established. I don't think the Sartarites are sophisticated enough to think of Milton-Keynes.

--Peter Metcalfe

*Orlanthi all FWIW.