Re: Re: on Darktongue

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:50:20 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, t_m_ellis wrote:

> > But I take it that your ansver to the original question would be,
> >that the Uz speak darktongue, and that it's the exact same language
> >that Dehori and suchlikes speak.
> >
> Unless the UW Uz book reveals otherwise, this would be my
> understanding, although "exact same" might actually be "a dialect
> of", but I don't think that Uz shaman need to learn a different
> language to talk to Dehori than they do to talk to other Uz

I like to go into such detail myself, so I suppose I'll just have to decide this for my campaign. Propably I'll find some middleground. I bet the troll language has evolved from the original spoken by the gigantic mistresses in wonderhome.
  Like in the West of Glorantha. I feel that the language of Sorcery is the old language of Danmalastan, but the everyday language is something that has evolved and changed over the millenia.

> > No wonder. I bet it uses sonar clicks and infrasound growls.
>
> Again, I believe that the "full" darktongue does, although they are
> not necessarily used when speaking to non-native darktongue speakers
> (I think it was Farley Mowat who lived with an group of inuit and
> thought he had made great grounds in learning their language until he
> discovered that the whole group had effectively been speaking "baby
> language" for his benefit)

This is rather the angle I've been playing too. There's the old Issaries goldentongue who is rather chummy with trolls (the player characters uncle). He has the Issaries gift of languages, and a wonderfully charismatic and versatile voice (capable of deep booming base notes and a falsetto for the higher pitched bits). But even he can't really be native fluent in Darktongue. He can't even hear the highest and lowest bits, and propably doesn't even know they are there. Parhaps he thinks those bits are done with expressions (like reading from lips).

So I suspect that Uz that he knows speak a somewhat simplified Darktongue when talking with him.

Incidentally, I wonder what it sounds like when a troll speaks the theyalan languages or Trade. Do they have a booming base voice as one would expect from the size, or does the voice go up and down the register depending on their mood?

        -Adept