Re: seven mothers

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:34:28 -0800

HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com wrote:

> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:32:38 -0000
> From: "Dougie" <dougiepunk_at_...>
> >Imperial citizens are exempt from many taxes and are immune to local law
> >enforcement.
>
> err.. well if the offended parties pick up an axe an split your head and
> your family take it to the local thing... well ... there is no local law
> enforcement!!! Lunar occupational forces have to take up the case..

Exactly, check my point further down in the original email. The killing of an imperial citizen by a non-citizen is a very serious thing; the entire offending family could be killed or enslaved.

Now, I'm not saying they would be. If the dead citizen's kin brought a complaint before the Imperial judge there would be a trial, in all accordance with the Goddess' laws. If the killing was found to be justified then the perp would be off scot free.

> >If your clan has been slapped with a 200-cow/year tribute for their part in
> the
> >Starbrow rebellion you would be exempt from contributing if you were a
> citizen.
>
> well, I think it is more along the lines of that if your clan becomes
> citizens .. tax is leveled against clans (the basic Heortling social unit)

What does the Empire care about the basic Heortling social unit? In Dara Happa everybody is responsible for his own deeds. If you are a citizen and the tax collector shows up to collect the clan's tribute you can tell the Chief to piss off when he comes to take some of your cows. I would suggest that you leave town very shortly thereafter though...

> not individuals... an idividual who was a Lunar Citizen would have to cope
> with pissed of clan members if they refgused their taxes, not the Lunar
> authorities, and woe betide them if the needed clan help (prety essential in
> Heaortling society)

All very good points and very relevant. One reason why Lunar clans and tribes are doing so well. Many sympathisers leave their lunar-hating clans and join the Lunar clans.

> in Sartari terms, just try it mate...

:-)

> the Thing is only there as a mechanism to arbitrate a comprimise between
> conflicting parties (clans) and hopefully end the (destuctive to everyone
> except maybe the clan/tribes enemies) cycle of blood-feud - no-one can make

> you do anything - The Lunars can not just walk in and ignore the entire
> Heortling legal system ( with enough troops maybe they could! .. but this is
> brute force and would have wide ranging consequences incliding total
> rebalion) - the Lunars do not have the power to do this - if they did, why
> bother trying to woo converts to the Lunar way?

They can and they do when they want to. It IS easier to work with the barbarians of course, keeps their primitive passions in check. But the Empire will destroy a clan to protect a family of Citizens and to make a point to the rest of the pass. Remember, they destroyed an entire tribe for killing 1 rapist.

As for power, check the Starbrow rebellion.

I don't think we are really disagreeing, just looking at it from different sides. I agree with the social problems that you have pointed out. They are very valid reasons not to convert to the Lunar way, just as my points are valid reason to convert.

They are all things that a person will have to think about when the winter gets cold and the kids are hungry.

Wesley