Re: lunar clans

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:15:16 -0500

contracycle wrote:

> Lunar Clans - are they composed of bloodlines with their own family

I presume by this you mean 'lunarized heortlings' rather than the powerful families of nobles that rule the various Satrapies of the Empire.

> names? Those references to clan names I have seen are often double-

Often they have patriotic names, being renamed or new bloodlines. Or they just have the same sort of names which denote local featues (sometimes with a lunar twist). Among the Black Oaks they have Darstenstead (named for the nominal chief) though others include Eight-team (for their famous oxen), Brass Boar and Red Salvation (where the REAL fanatics hang out). But some might have bastardized or imported Pelorian or Dara Happan names (often mispronounced or misspelt)

> barrelled - coincidence or convention?

Convention, I think.

> Does the construction of such names mean anything?

What's in a name? Most are the same sort of names as most Heorling clans and steads have but with some new meaning.

> Is there any authoritative list of such clans
> (I'm expecting not)?

Nope! But I am sure that you can find appropriate traitors, er, patriots in your game.

> Do clans have patron deities?

Yes. These are usually called wyter

> More interestingly, do they have a wyter?

To be a clan, you have to have a wyter... So, yes. The Black Oaks have "Rakstant the Black Oak" as their patron. He lets their pigs grow fat, sheilds them from lightning and keeps the minions of Tarndisi's Grove at bay.

> Woudl clans prefer to fight Dart Wars peronsally, or through contract assasins and > mercenaries?

That's perhaps a bit new fangled for the Heortling traitors. I think the Lunarized clans are pushed/drawn together by the malice of the old, unenlightened clans. At the moment, there's that 'frontier unity' that you get when a community is in dangerous straits. Were they more civilized and indolent, they would indulge.

Jeff