Re: Inns and outs

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:44:53 -0500

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> > (as another aside: I'm sure Heortlings must sled on their abundant
> > hills in winter, and for that matter use horse drawn sleds for
> > transport and hauling in the winter, something that has yet to be
> > adequately described!)
>
> And skis, as will be made clear in the next volume.

And skates! Strap on those bones!

> > Now, BA makes it very clear that there are no inns in Sartar. Yet
> > King of Sartar states that on the royal road built by Sartar there
> > were periodic widenings (not clear, but I think this specifically
> > meant while passing through the Quivini mountains) for use by
> temples
> > and inns.
>
> It could also be a government builing more intended for a messenger
> service
> than civilian use (though that is really not Heortling 'look and feel'
> -
> much more Lunar).

Or they may be slightly more enlightened in the cities and along the roads but the bulk of the Sartari live up in the hills.

> Combining these two ideas, it is possible that Sartar (the man)
> established
> these wayside shrines, and the Lunars used the flat areas for Posting
> Stations, at which only Lunar Citizens on official business could
> stop(cf.
> the Roman Cursus Publicus and Mansiones). Such stations could (and
> did, in
> the Roman world) take on the character and function of an inn,
> mutating from
> 'official business only' to 'any money's good here' after the Lunars
> are
> pushed out.

Very much like posting stations and mansiones - I like this idea a fair bit. The idea of a wayside shrine for travelers is a very old one.

...just be wary if you find them being built as Octagonal buildings.

> The Author of the CHDP is writing from the future, looking back at the
> "glorious" past. He could easily conflate Sartar's original plans
> (wayside
> shrines) with later improvements made by the Lunars.
>
> RR

Jeff