Re: Inns and outs

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 22:12:51 +0100

Guy :

> In some modern novel based upon the Tain, I recall some reference to a
> hosteller whom the King has appointed to keep his house ready to host
> guests. That's about all I can recall right now.

There are a few medieval-style hostels left in Europe, and I've even slept in some.

The best one was in the summer of 2000 while walking to Rome. The village in question had a pilgrims' house, and as soon as a pilgrim turned up, the house was _theirs_ for the night.

Ob-stereotypes, I'm afraid that reality can be far worse.

Many (non-Youth) hostels are pretty sordid, and you get to sleep on the floor, in the dust ; eat food directly off the table with your own personal knife, get into drinking contests, and I've even heard tell of the odd tavern-bra ^h^h^h hostel fight breaking out.

Julian Lord