Heortling Mentality again

From: TERRA INCOGNITA <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 02:49:57 +0900

Recently I feel lonely for Glorantha Digest was lost.

Thanks for your answer, Bryan & Jeff. But for my intention, most of you know, um, your own culture consciously and / or subconsciously. Foreigners should study native language intentionally. For example, Orlanthi calls their nature as "Freedom (derived from old English)", not "Liberty (derived from Latin Libertas)". Maybe you have childhood memory about good Viking movie or catoon, we maybe know only a blood thirsty berserk image
if you mentioned Vikings or Pirates. (both are same meaning....)

And the meaning of weregeld, I don't know how Heort and Andrin thinks "the grobal standard" about the price of Death and Crimes, but the fixed exchange rate is not appropriate for the time passing in the World.

<<None of my players know of Egil nor Njal - or didn't...

In its simplest state, a weregild is a fine paid to make up for wrongdoing. Very simple. Of course, they need not accept the payment - and some crimes have to be washed out in blood. That's where bloodfeuds come from.

Jeff>>

<<Weregeld however, shouldn't actually be that hard to explain. Think
of each clan as being a bit like a company. If you work for XYZ company, and while driving a truck full of dangerous chemicals you have an accident and people are hurt or killed, most likely your company will pay fines for what happened. Possibly the people hurt accept the fines and accept that justice has been done. Or maybe they want you personally to suffer, and bring charges against you.

In orlanthi terms, the clan pays weregeld to make reparations for the actions of any of its people. If the injured party doesn't think that is penalty enough, they might demand that you be outlawed, so that they can take more bloody justice, or if your clan won't outlaw you, maybe they get their clan to declare a feud.

Or, to look at it another way, the most basic law is "an eye for an eye." but since we don't everyone to end up blind, eventually it is widely agreed "an eye for an eye, or else five cows."

--Bryan>>

And I have a chance to make same question. (Japanese still cannot watch Fellowship of the Ring in Japan.)
(Meliadok to Gandalf)
Do you know about the history of Old Wind Temple at the Stormwalk? http://www.celtic-webs.com/glorantha/campaigns/gwandor/saga/gwandor15.html

Old Wind is located in a deep valley. Everything in and around the valley looked blasted and wind-swept. Winds came from all direction in the valley, now gentle like a caress, now brutally harsh flinging stones and branches around. Many, many sylphs inhabited the valley and played in the crevasses. At the end of the valley stood a towering storm. Black clouds, thunder and lightning and raging winds compressed into a huge pillar reaching into the sky. A rent in the border between this world and the next.

As Argrath's band approached the pillar, a cloud detached from the roiling storm and flew to Argrath. It touched the ground before him and dissipated leaving a dozen warriors standing before him. They were covered in tattoos of power and their equipment glowed with the strength of the storm. Their leader introduced himself as "Fedrin Stormguard" and demanded to know their purpose in the valley. "I am Argrath Dragonfriend, the rightful High King of Sartar and lighter of Sartar's Flame. I come at the invitation of Utguard Stormstrider." Fedrin was unimpressed, "I care not who you are, all are equal before the storm. Your heart and soul will prove your worth. If you wish to follow, follow, your will will see you into Old Wind." With that he turned and strode away followed by his men.

As Argrath and his band followed, the winds grew stronger and buffeted them relentlessly. First from one direction then another. It grew stronger and stronger. Kamoar and Lothar were reduced to crawling and clawing their way forward and then could make no more headway against the wind. The gusts started to pick them up and threatened to blow them back but they pressed on. Argrath, Katla and Sigmund were held on to the stone to keep from blowing off and could not go further. Varax and Gudny drove on, fighting the winds. Argrath sat and relaxed, "I want to join with the winds," he thought. The winds stopped buffeting him and he floated into the air and into Old Wind. The rest of his companions quickly followed his example and they floated into the air and passed within the Storm.