Re: Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:37:51 -0800

I thought that Ian's adaptation of the Orventili myth was a delightful piece of insight, and I am sure that any PC with the peace rug feat would have improvised this use within a few sessions of starting play (and surely cemented it and shared it with her fellow devotees). Orventili is at her best when the protagonists are seated across from her, but how does she get them there in the first place? It is a natural and game-sanctioned use of the HW feats system.

(By way of isolated observation I believe most of us are still severely under-estimating Ernaldan power and magic, and its effects on everyday stead life. The existing clan questionnaire falls into this category, focusing only on the domestic side of female power).

> If neither the gods nor their worshippers are constant, if both are
> subject to variation and foible, what reason exactly do we have to
> assume that because peacemakers throw blankets over swords in myth
> they do so in reality? Knowing the content of myth does not,
> apparently, grant the ability to predict actual behaviour.

The examples you use to support this rather extreme statement are gathered across a wide arc of history and culture, and embody God-Learnerish perspectives that would be totally foreign to most Gloranthans. A typical Heortling clan (so the draft questionnaire reveals) has had steady relationships with their deities since before the Dawn: the nature of the gods, their deeds, their myths and the institutional behaviours are as steady as can be in a culture that worships the Change rune. Very few Heortlings are ever going to be surprised by the actions and reactions of Storm/Earth pantheon cultists, even from other tribes, though there will sometimes be a gasp of surprise and wonder when a particular feat not known to your clan is performed.

Trying to use this line of logic to argue that women would not throw blankets over swords to stop a brawl?!? Perhaps you might cement your argument by showing us how you would use such argument to narrate a pc Orventili or other Ernaldan who tries such a feat? (PS. I'll give you a hint: the scenario suggests that they do, the named feats of the cult allow such versatility ('Put down weapons', 'See both sides' with a disad) and the game system encourages such creative exploration of feats).

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes
Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

"Imagination is more important than knowledge.  Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."