Re: Valentine

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:16:41 -0800

> In Finland at least, the Valentine's day is celebrated not only as a day
> of romantic interest, but mostly as a day dedicated to friendship.
>
> So, happy valentines to everybody on the list!

And to you.

In America (okay, the USA, for those purists out there that think Canada, Mexico and South America all deserve a chance to be called "America" too :-) ), young children give out cards/candy to everyone in their class at school, no matter if they like the person or not (it's pretty much mandated by teachers, to make sure their fragile little egos are not crushed by not receiving cards - can you tell I don't have kids? :-| )

Later, when kids start going steady/dating/fixating on one person, the day becomes the Romantic Holiday as pushed by Sees Candies, Victoria's Secret, The Flower Industry and DeBeers Diamonds.

This year I took my wife to see Willie Nelson in concert for Valentine's day - it cost a lot more than a box of chocolat and a bunch of flowers, but she enjoyed it a whole lot more.

RR