Re: [openherowars] Re: Who's afraid of the big bad moderator?

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_QZ7s9UxLJtOcigHPv-K7p1ISQ4eJhnmbQpeBPDw8HdgGm3WdMx7ji3tg9XuoAlJz>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:56:56 +0200

John 'n' Graham :

> > Another Gloranthan list to share the overlap between the Digest,
> > the HW and HW-L lists.
> > *** huzzah....***
>
> <Groan>

I dunno : it's an interesting experiment anyway.

> > I'm intrigued. Is it meant to be cathartic - a repository for all
> the
> > flamewars, source-text inerrancy squabbles, hissie fits, sulking and
> > fundo/non-fundo, Greg/Issaries/HW/OTG/duck/grognard/analogue rants,
> > sort of
> > like alt.hero_wars.flame? 'Better World Building through Ridicule?'

I hope so !

Can't see much point for the thing otherwise.

> If so, call it what it is - herowars-flame_at_yahoogroups.com. My
> suspicion is that this is not what the creator has in mind. Instead,
> I think he sees Jeff, Nick (strangely) and possibly myself as too
> tied into Issaries.

The current membership of openherowars seems like a pretty good shortlist of people who are "too tied into Issaries", funnily enough.

> The number of posts ending up on the wrong group
> is probably part of this, but the moderation should point those
> getting outside the remit of one group to take it to a more
> appropriate forum.

OTOH some possible HW discussions (as opposed to those of Glorantha per se) have no appropriate forum whatsoever. Both HW lists have strictly defined areas of discussion that we *mustn't* step beyond, but not all of these would be suitable for the GD. NOT weird lit-crit, nature of reality, and other such excruciating arcana : stuff like superhero roleplaying with HW, or using the rules for Star Wars, etc...

Plus " flamewars, source-text inerrancy squabbles, hissie fits, sulking and fundo/non-fundo, Greg/Issaries/HW/OTG/duck/grognard/analogue rants, sort of like alt.hero_wars.flame? 'Better World Building through Ridicule?' "

Yes indeedy.

> Its a rare case where something needs kicked from
> the Digest...

But it happens ... NOT that we'd really want to see that sort of stuff being dumped here, right ? If it ain't fit for the GD, it's probably not fit for anywhere else either.

> > Or has it some more noble purpose - a vehicle for unrestrained
> > exploration of key issues like deviant durulz sexuality, or why
> > the cows are not what they seem? If so, I'm in!
>
> No restraints on the Glorantha Digest - and I'll actively oppose
> anyone who tries to stop discussions of this sort there.

Glad to hear it, Graham ; but there is at the very least some self-restraint on the GD (caused by knee-jerk flamewar avoidance tactics, admittedly), and it might be interesting to experiment with something a little more free-form. Dunno if anyone *wants* a flamewar : but maybe they do !

> I'll state my policy for that forum here :
>
> "If its relevant to Glorantha and you keep it vaguely polite, you can
> discuss it on the Digest."

OK : but some people might have variant senses of humour and of what is/isn't appropriate for public posting (an Alex and a David among others...).

Julian Lord

--
I swear to you, by the prickling brambly Thorn of St. Fiacre in Brie,
that our unique Morosoph whom I formerly termed the Lunatick Triboulet,