Re: [HeroWars] Re: Show not Tell [MODERATOR]

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_GAk6dqOODRA5HfexKoAsz6B0kkiCh7VmZcdXygwGR2TbqWaoAo3EwBQXXnAW8yCc7hGiiG>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:15:00 +0100

Jeff :

> To post an inflamatory rant DESIGNED to cause trouble and then say
> 'but that's off topic so I don't want to talk about it' is very bad
> form.

I know, I know. I'm sorry.

Current personal problems and frustrations helped make me do it, but sure it's a poor excuse.

Something I will NOT apologise for though, is that I wanted to make a direct link between the themes of the Hero Wars and situations in the Real World.

Glorantha is a world of myth, but mythology can only be meaningful when it is a mirror of reality.

If Gloranthan myths are to be taken with any seriousness by a wider audience, then they MUST be relevant to the 21C RW.

Ducking our collective head into the sand and trying to forget about it all will just make Glorantha even more irrelevant to Joe Public.

RQ2 era Glorantha was built upon the foundation of a cold war era psyche, where "Freedom" was opposed to "Imperialism" (or vice-versa depending which side of the iron fence your home happened to be).

This psyche no longer exists, and if it is to become successful again, Glorantha (IMO) absolutely must face the issues of the current conflicts that are shaping our minds.

And if that means talking about Hitler and fascism, George Bush (AKA the Mask of Cheney), Osama Bin Laden, thousands of forthcoming Iraqi (and undoubtedly US etc) dead, and the core issue of the philosophical tyranny of Liberalism vs. parochial cultural values (including Christian ones !!),* well you say that Glorantha is in a do or die situation : I say, let's actually DO something for a change, and make Glorantha into a more interesting and relevant place to game in.

The Crimson Bat is a metaphor for the A-Bomb ?

Fine. I want to see Carmanian Black Magicians HeroQuesting to the Moon and obtaining little Bat Spawn and training them to fight against the Empire.

I want to see Orlanthi Hit Squads unleash Rain, Storm and Havoc on unsuspecting lunar citizens sitting pretty in their luxury condominia.

I want to see Lunar Associations sucking everything that's worth anything out of the Provinces and Conquered People, and calling in the Army to deal with any kind of opposition.

Or whatever : the thing is, Greg's already putting a load of this stuff into the material he's been writing for HW/HQ, but we, the community of people who support him, need to take that material and actually support it, instead of just continuing to bitch about how much better things were in the old days, and continuing to write HQ material as if it were just a continuation of RQ.

> I have bit back some rather unkind comments about the French and will
> continue to do.

Please post them on OpenHeroWars then !

I'd like to see them : I'm not in love with the frogs myself, despite my admiration for their literature, wine, and cheeses.

And lack of hypocrisy.

cheers,

Julian Lord **