Re: [OpenHeroWars] Another pile of meandering, pointless, boring wank from Julian Lord

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_p7ynQtatPG5SH2QlJ94RHh84AipvMqbvDM9-D95BH3xIUJ9btGFAe_8NtJ4scloTeaOkT>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:35:50 +0100

>I've said it before : the point is that threads get killed by the
>moderators of **other** lists, and don't make it to the GD,
>not as you suggested that there was nothing in them in the first
>place, but because many people (most?) are allergic to the GD.

The digest has more subscribers than the Hero Wars list. Something a bit wrong with your theory.

>What about threads discussing OOP sources and how to actually
>use them in actual HQ games ?

Digest fodder.

>What about talking about info in, say, the RuneQuest Companion
>**without** wanting to dissect it or have it dissected GD-style,
>just get the juicy bits out and use them ?

Digest fodder. No one says you have to dissect anything. I've been very impressed with how little dissection has been going on in the recent Carmania thread. It seems to me to be *exactly* what you are describing, and is currently dominating the Digest.

>Or any other similar threads that don't meet the criteria of
>acceptability for HeroQuest-RPG but are, nonetheless,
>of interest/use for some people who happen not to be
>GD-enthusiasts ?

What, all -114 of them?

>OK, we've got this handy hole to dump our flame wars into,
>but that's not enough IMO.

The Digest is not a handy hole for dumping flame wars into. Never was, never will be. You seem to be one of the very, very few who thinks so.

Apart from ought else, recently the Digest has seen far fewer flame wars than HeroWars...

>Anyway, Graham, I'm sorry if I offended you, but I must
>admit to not being particularly impressed with your attitude
>that no other MLs are permissible, no matter what anyone else
>thinks about it or what kinds of discussions they want to
>have with other members of the Tribe, Rules of the Road
>notwithstanding.

I ask you justify your effectively hijacking half the traffic to my mailing list, and you can't or won't. Sorry, not my attitude that needs an adjustment.

>"Take it to the GD" almost never works.
>
>I don't know why, and frankly I don't care.

Because the threads are too dull to live? If they had any real interest, the participants would put up with the *very minor* effort needed to continue them.

>But it is a fact that certain threads are killed,
>and certain forms of discussion are effectively verboten.

Start the discussions in the right place to start with?

>Nevertheless, certain kinds of discussion are
>effectively ruled out in the current situation,
>pious intentions notwithstanding.

Again, start them in the right place, and no one will kill them off.

>I've decided to see whether a new ML is the solution or not.

Nope. It can only cause division and confusion. Take it to the HeroQuest Daily will work no better. Threads only work if started in the right place.

>Having a great big flame war about it will, may I point out,
>solve NOTHING. But something IMHO needs to
>be solved.

Then fucking well try to solve it. Presenting a very poorly thought out fait acompli achieves nothing. If you want to make the Digest a more friendly area, we can have that discussion. Splintering the community is purely destructive.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson
graham_at_bXH9OoJiPuereO0jvaIA8gEuG4u3A5IwK7ZFxJUhMhnsS-tvPIdTN2tARD1nmMor7VtEe55hlctSLEh4.yahoo.invalid

Albion Software Engineering Ltd.