Lists stuff

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_ytZX2mz7wJbm99h2MSrynMWR8phArnU6Z8kUfktJEjP9K843ZuJ47PvnB902YiEgRcen.y>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 00:12:47 +0200

Jeff :

> > Or any other similar threads that don't meet the criteria of
> > acceptability for HeroQuest-RPG but are, nonetheless,
> > of interest/use for some people who happen not to be
> > GD-enthusiasts ?
>
> I suggest that the digest should be re-habilitated.

That might be a solution.

> For what it matters to you, Greg is of the opinion that further
> fragmentation is a bad idea.

Point taken, and I'm thinking about that too.

> > "Take it to the GD" almost never works.
>
> Gee. Do you ever follow up on your own threads when they are posted
> there? Could that be it?

No, Jeff, I'm talking about some other people's threads too ...

> > I don't know why, and frankly I don't care.
> >
> > But it is a fact that certain threads are killed,
> > and certain forms of discussion are effectively verboten.
> >
> > I realise that this is no-one's intention, and therefore
> > no-one's fault. I point no fingers.
>
> Why not? You've done it in the past.

Well, I was wrong then.

> IF you'd actually stay on topic
> on the HeroQuest list, you'd be in a lot less trouble far less often.

This is not just my problem, despite numerous assertions to the contrary.

> > Let me say that the thread-killing that takes place
> > on HeroQuest-RPG is almost always justified
> > and A Good Thing.
>
> THAT comes as a surprise to me.

Wow.

My whole point is that there *is* a hole needing to be filled somehow. Maybe my list is doing it the wrong way ? Quite possibly.

But one edge of the hole is that HeroQuest-RPG needs to be newbie friendly ; the other edge is that the GD simply isn't.

This isn't a problem with the rules of the current MLs, nor is it an issue of content.

If there were something there, instead of nothing, or if the gap were far narrower, or whatever, no-one would post GD-type stuff in the wrong place. As it is, more and more people (nope, not just me ; anyway I'm not going to do it again) are doing exactly that.

> > Nevertheless, certain kinds of discussion are
> > effectively ruled out in the current situation,
> > pious intentions notwithstanding.
> >
> > I've decided to see whether a new ML is the solution or not.
> >
> > Having a great big flame war about it will, may I point out,
> > solve NOTHING. But something IMHO needs to
> > be solved.
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Julian
>
> It can be solved by proper use of the digest.

Obviously, I disagree.

> I fear that I don't
> really see a reason for your jihad for a new list.

I quite understand that many will disagree with my reasons.

Maybe I'm wrong ? Time will tell.

> I suspect you won't see a few folks like Greg on it.
>
> I don't know if I'll be on it to be blunt.

Well, if people vote with their feet and nobody subscribes, posts, whatever, the experiment will prove a failure and I'll kill it.

> I feel that my attempts to be concillatory and flexible have been
> taken advantage of.

I'm sorry you feel that way. :-(

This is an attempt by me towards a compromise.

If you guys can come up with a better solution, I'll be glad, and I wish you the best of luck; just don't kill the messenger, please.

:-(

cheers,

Julian