Re: [OpenHeroQuest] THE Digest

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_900TNG3N2MviGHEEdoPQ8Hc1tUe4zDUnWKAYlFCRm1utV9CYQubIrDAFHJYI->
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:04:14 +0100 (BST)

> > > It's like saying "The Trilogy" or "The idiot in
> the
> > > White House" - everyone knows what you mean.
> >
> > I have no idea what you mean by "The Trilogy".
> Never
> > heard the reference used in any context that I
> know
> > of.
>
> My dear, not a Tolkien Fan? Or at least not one from
> the sixties-seventies?
> I suppose with the explosion of trilogies and
> quadrologies and pentalogies
> (and dodecalogies...) "the Trilogy" has lost its
> uniqueness.

That was the first trilogy that came to mind, but I've never heard of it referred to like that before. Sixties and seventies... I think I was about 12 or so when I read LotR, so yes, that does just about fit into the end of the seventies.

> Oh well, at least you knew which idiot in which
> White House I was referring to.

In a generic sense, yes. If it was meant to refer to one particular holder of the office then I missed the reference.

Yahoo! Plus
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer