Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Digest Number 79

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_xkEc27E8hUn9kd82jkFt2gL66KmaeCOA16QCbZoSz3eKJKg2Td8Rf7aD0NGqnE8CmkqWv>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:45:40 -0700

- Richelieu

JohnBruce:

>A Tolkein trilogy? Hobbit-LOTR-Silmarillion, surely? Was LOTR first
>published as 3 separate books? I guess so, but no one of our generation
>thought of LOTR as a trilogy till the movies.

Ya punk kid you.

LotR was originally written as one book, but published as three individual books - broken at "Books" 2 and 4. JRRT disagreed with the publisher over this, but their contention was that no-one would want to read a 1200+ page book (hah! look at the oversized tendonitis specials people like Terry Goodkind or Robert Jordan put out nowadays! Shows ahat they know).

So in the US, it was refered to as "the trilogy" and came before almost all the other trilogies mentioned (except Wagner).

>Besides, what could ever surpass the jewelled perfection of RQ2/COP/COT? I
>wuz young. I had the dice. I had *the time*....

CoT? Shit man, that came along late in the cycle! RQ1/CoP/Apple Lane

RR