Re: Rant number 1, 2 & 3

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_JPOyenm6QWakF0XaHCrDfiN-EnXBw9-jBABf3eW38Fjb3EnLlArlr0NJ2RjdnmuguZvpSQ0j>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:54:43 -0000

>Why, when you express an opinion that slightly criticises the
>official rules or long established Gloranthan beliefs do so many
>people feel the need to rush to their defence and silence the
>criticism?

This is not unique to Glorantha or HeroQuest/Wars. You'll find the same on (almost) every RPG list. (Probably every "fan" list for any activity in fact).

>Why do so many people answering queries on rules or style assume that
>the questioner is a novice GM?

It is easier to give advice aimed at a novice and allow the experienced GM to use it as a starting point than to give advice for someone who is an expert and expect the novice to see the nuggets of wisdom burried therein

> Why does the digest have to remain on such an antiquated system, is
> old and cranky somehow more elitist?

It isn't. There are three differenced between the digest and this list.
(1) This list is available in "real time" - the digest is available as a digest (duh!). Are we such junkies that we can't wait for our fix? Are our attenttion spans so low we can't concentrate for more than one message at a time?
(2) This list has an on line reply facility (that I am currently using) whereas the digest relies on you using your own e-mail client. Unless you are responding from work (<whistles innocently>) then being able to compose your replies off line is probably a good thing...
(3) This list has lots of pop up adverts when you try to read it on the Yahoo site...

> Why does everyone persist on quoting heavily, thereby making threads
> unreadable when you look back?

No Idea, but this is also a common problem - try reading the "King_Arthur_Pendragon" to see a real problem. Some people also insist on posting in HTML, even after they are asked nicely to stop. (Some people can get very irate if you ask them to consider trimming their posts and quoting appropriately - others are much more reasonable)

> Why does HQ-rpg have to have such a narrow and limited outlook these
> days, with all this "don't scare away the newbies" crap?

'Cos we'rehoping to get lots of newbies with the new rules, and we'd like to keep them long enough to ensure they turn up at Continuum/Gloranthacon/Tentacles/GloranthanGrouse etc etc to run games for us to play in!