Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Rant number 1, 2 & 3

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_NUjczFRijRF95Ca-2Sh9SqaYZ_v76jxiXeZdDt2woEd0ZPti8yCsk9q2ALdYWk33Ziu2>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 00:16:51 -0500

Jane Williams wrote:

>>Why does HQ-rpg have to have such a narrow and
>>limited outlook these
>>days, with all this "don't scare away the newbies"
>>crap?
>>

>Because we do need somewhere that doesn't scare the
>newbies. And the Glorantha Digest is 50%
>incomprehensible to me these days, and I'm no newbie.

Jane, I couldn't have put it better myself. It reminds me a lot of those old theological debates about angels dancing on the heads of pins (when everybody knows they dance on the POINTS). It's HARD to keep up with the "new" Lunar gods and goddesses, though we really knew of too few in the past to do us much good. It's even harder to keep track of the new Orlanthi gods (which one flies? Which one casts thunderstones? Which one raids cattle? In the old days, there were just 3 Orlanths, not hundreds of him! And then there's Ernalda and all her myriad selves...)

Of course, part of me delights in the wonderful complexity of it all. As someone who has enjoyed Glorantha for about 25 years, I'm generally in favor of the direction Glorantha has gone, only it's a greater effort for me to grasp it now than it was back in 1979, when I bought the first edition (and wore it out through play). Even as I delight in learning of another aspect of the good old Lozenge, part of me goes, "How the hell am I going to remember all THIS???".

Sigh. Keep bringing them out, though, and one day I might just run a game.

Guy