Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Re: Vote RRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_Z5qtX9D3bDIkS4McfTubhp46fh2NeYQYOEptNC_Md7f34bXnAguTle_xVICuEhSV>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 09:09:42 -0700 (PDT)

> Compared to the European and especially German
> spectrum, I'd group the Democrat Party of the USA
> somewhere to the right wing of our conservatives.
> That leaves the Republicans in an uncomfortable
> nationalist corner beyond the right, a situation
> Germany had been facing in the late 1920ies. I
> sincerely hope that the USA is able to
> learn from the mistakes made in Old Europe.

Erm, not to overstate things, but are you seriously comparing the Republican Party to the Nazi Party? There's a few relevant differences, among them that Republicans genuinely believe in freedom and democracy (not a major party value among Nazis) and want no part of empire by conquest. Your implication to the contrary undermines the credibility of your entire position.

> The only proven instance of support of terrorism
> outside of their own jurisdiction I have encountered
> so far was the suicide bombers' pension paid to
> extremist Palestines. Which is a lot less than legal
> Saudi organisations have on their record.

One war at a time, please. Well, OK, two, but Afghanistan is a small one.

Fundamentally, you are right about Saudi. Cutting off their oil money over the medium term would be one of the best things we could do for the war on terror. Hydrogen fuel cells anyone?

> What I still miss in Bush's War Against Terror are
> 20000 or so GIs or international forces under US
> command in Palestine, to stop the mutual
> terror there. Now that would be a worthy task, and
> possibly tackling a lot of the troubles at the root.

I don't see how that could possibly work. Can you expound upon it further? How would that not simply be giving Palestinean and Israeli extremists covenient targets (assuming here, that we chose to police a position not sateisfactory to either side)?

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search http://shopping.yahoo.com