Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Swing low...

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_EPBniKbqp2HCoY-fhZX0bHnWU-fhN3QHp8lgJb0ItDoE6j4HBOayVt4FDLjj9I9LZYs4>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:44:12 +1100

What a great game. What a great team. Draw at full time, draw at one a minute to go in extra time. Good on ya Poms, you deserved it. If only I'd used my Wilko voodoo doll.

A tremendous, fun match, and a great series. I discovered, at the final, that I knew all the words to 'Jerusalem' as I gave 'omage to the victors. The only let down at the night was our prime miniature. At least he was forced to shuffle down the line like a ballboy, handing out medals at the double trot, so doubt in order to satisfy the greater gods of network timing. Apparently, when the booking was made, our Governor-General at the time was even more controversial and with less public standing than even Bonsai John.

The anthems are a bit odd. 'Swing Low' if I remember, is a negro spiritual. Picked up on one of the Empire's slave-ships no doubt. Without the accompanying hand motions, I guess it *could* relate to the chariot in 'Jerusalem'. And 'Waltzing Matilda', for all its underdog convict screw-you transcendance, is actually a German term for travelliing salesmen on the hoof, 'waltzing mitt tilda'.

But my enduring, indelible stamp from the series is the Canadian chant. Whenever my mind goes blank, (which is fairly often), the words filter out like a spring. 'Let's go Canada, lets go, lets go Canada, lets go..." Pip (who is rather smug today in her oh-so-subtle English way) may yet strangle me...

Lets go Canada, lets go...

John