Re: [OpenHeroQuest] From HQrules list

From: Philip Murphy <pendragon_at_H8INzn13nu2yA6vojnprB-N7b-JDk6g6W1a3wCjy1cvb_pvlZvG6Aes_pYXwcYDCcp>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:57:39 -0000

Chris,

>>This popped up on the HQ rules
>>list...

Where it ran its natural course. Why have you chosen to reopen it?

>>...shows your own raw insecurities,
>>rather than anything about any
>>supposed behavior by Americans.

Most people would concede that my opinions on Mr Joe Average American, whether accurate or not, are shared by the vast majority of people who have access to global communications.

>>Among other things, what makes
>>us superior to many countries...

Which ones are you inferior to?

>>...we conquered western Europe
>>and Japan...

Are you referring to World War II? Isn't that the one where you turned up four years late? And everyone else just hung around waiting for you to come along and win it? Remind me, who came second in that one?

>>I think we have a right to some
>>pride.

Oh, I do too, and did not say otherwise, which you would no doubt have noticed had you bothered with the whole thread. What I objected to was Mr Joe Average American's ignorance (due to his American education) of the USA's place in the world, both past and present.

>>That's not to say that other
>>countries (e.g., Britain) don't also
>>have reason to be proud.

Does your generosity extend to countries like Iraq? Afghanistan? Vietnam?

>>You're a pencil-necked geek
>>whose mamma still dresses him.

With all due respect Chris, I think that says more about you than it does about me.

Philip
"I do wish we could chat longer, but I'm having an old friend for dinner."