Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Digest Number 187 - several topics

From: Philip Murphy <pendragon_at_XY-ccfLe8Iu7ECY_V4_Mb8dikFqIusXhH92AJs0I5YFTlYVFUR64J64gH7nam_iNAX>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:48:11 -0000

Roderick,

>>The guy's a complete fuckwit.

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

>>According to him, Henk is
>>"American"...

I said no such thing.

>>...sure, we have Thanksgiving, but
>>the Germans have Oktoberfest...
>>Would he be so upset if we asked
>>"What Gloranthan festival equates
>>to Oktoberfest?"

You are deliberately misinterpreting what I said. The point is that Mr Hans Average German would NEVER associate Oktoberfest and Easter, nor assume them to be the same sort of thing. An average German would know that Oktoberfest is a German thing and assume that it was not celebrated outside his own culture. On the other hand, Mr Joe Average American is so big-headed and ignorant of the USA's place in the world that he has exactly the opposite belief regarding Thanksgiving. He probably believes the Communists banned it in China.

My REAL gripe Roderick, is what your country's (standard) educational system produces. And it's a mass producer, too. You are a perfect advert for it.

Philip
"I know I promised, Lord, never again. But I also know that YOU know what a weak-willed person I am."