A Second Religious/Mythological Influence

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_DF4srLmDMC4-_-u_wL6xolno6ub_idENSp4Uwqx6-9YsTvHb7iQpuJqXTEcujfB2I49m>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:36:12 +1100

One of the wonderful things about Glorantha is the way in which Greg's sensitivity to religion and mythology carries across into his writings and stories. From the early years, Greg talked about Joseph Campbell, and Campbell's ideas, and encouraged us to dig deep into the hero's journey. My own forays into world religion were largely sparked by that challenge.

Reflecting on Guy's question, it struck me that there's a second, equally important religious theorist that seems to influence Greg's view of religion, one who we seldom mention. I don't mean Jung - both Campbell and this second figure were disciples of Jung, each in their own way. Glorantha is definitely a Jungian universe.

I'd be interested if others think the same, so I'm putting this second person's name way way down below. Respond without peeking if you like. I guess its not too difficult, this person is one of the big names in comparative religion.

So who do you think are the major influences on Glorantha? I'm thinking about its religious theory and practice, but heck, we could start a Snorri Snurlson thread as well. Its a free list.

We could even ask Greg. :)

This will probably become an essay or article: for now I'd be interested in what others think, and in a few days time I'll post a few of this mystery scholar's key ideas and why I think they are important to Glorantha..

John

The answer is below.

Way down.

Hurts your finger, doesn't it?

Just a bit further.

Mircea Eliade - especially his ideas of the sacred and profane, the eternal return, chaos and order, microcosm and macrocosm, and his elaborations of shamanism as an an archaic technique of ecstasy.