Re: From HQrules list

From: Nils Weinander <nils_at_RS4pmOs5iFZE8RwbC68im9wx-CsDCXow9RTXMmwxRMs2S5wHk3MdtaLcy8WSdt5kAd4PUmi>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:54:41 +0100

Julian:

> Drop the "-ish" please. Political power is, in ALL
> cases derived from the consent, explicit or tacit,
> of "the people".

That is an insult to opressed people everywhere, be it Iraq, Palestine, Tibet or somewhere else. Claiming that there is tacit consent is a cowardly way of sneaking out of the responsibility to oppose totalitarian rulers, regardless of their -ism.

> When the majority reaches
> a state of opinion where the governance is totally
> rejected, the latter will almost inevitably
> be overthrown, as has recently happened in Georgia.

The state of opinion doesn't mean anything as long as the rulers have enough weapons and the ruthlessness to use them. Now that might not last forever, but deeming by human history centuries is no problem.

> Democracy isn't necessarily the best system
> for one and all.

The challenge then is for you to name one case where a non-democratic government is better.

And no, I don't give a damn about the list rules, so I won't include insults.

Nils Weinander
We sail on a ship made of dreams