Re: Return of the King

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_kSzZf0n2LITK27Yv01O-LZIOUQCmmzsxOtvxnG32yc1lF4JbQlhIopl0NOu-5>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:01:53 -0000

With copious apologies for seemingly ignoring John's excellent review...

If there's one thing I've learned from the films, it's "never let the bloke who was in the Fellowship be the general". Wandering over hill and dale with a bunch of scruffy stragglers? No probs. Leading troops into battle? Uh...

HELM'S DEEP Eomer: "Gandalf, me and my lads are the best light and medium horsemen in Middle Earth! Using our manoeuvrability, I reckon we fix 'em 'ere, while flanking 'round and hitting 'em in echelon yonder, then..."
Gandalf: "Bugger that! I've got a better idea. We form lads up on there 'ill, and charge 'em uncontrollably in one mass down tha' there scree slope into a phalangitic horde of heavy infantry set with pikes."
Eomer: "Wha' the... <mutter> Hobbit-fiddler..."

PELENNOR FIELDS Whole Army of the Dead thing doesn't count, as they just kind of went 'WHOOSH' and Aragorn's C3 seemed rather limited.

BLACK GATE Eomer: "Look, Aragorn, I don't mean this personally, but don't let that sodding wizard command, ok?"
Aragorn: "No probs, son. I've got a cunning plan." Eomer: "Grand! Well, I know the gate opens outwards, but if we can form as close to the gate as possible, we can minimise their wealth of numbers..."
Aragorn: "Ah, bugger that! Eomer, lad, you've a lot to learn. You see, what we do is, we let them open the gate, then fall back into a schiltron, but with no pikes, that's the cunning bit, and let them surround us. See?"

At the end of the film, when Aragorn is crowned and like, if you notice, everyone lowers their eyes as they bow and he walks past. Not Eomer. I always thought it was because the scruffy impostor thought his sister wasn't good enough for 'im, but now I'm not so sure.

All those Rohirrim in Minas Tirith. Perfect chance to usurp the crown...

Best,

Stu.

P.S. Pippin or Glorfindel, Elrond? Hmmmmmm. Errr... PippinGlorfindel PippinGlorfindelPippinGlorfindelPippinGlorfindelPippinGlorfindelPippin GlorfindelPippinGlorfindel... PIPPIN. Great stuff.