Re: Digest Number 226

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_wqSBeubu_AWEm4VP_1w-sK19ZqJbOCUAgYI9lwy3RQ4RfwMpQu_zfUXf4kgmQ>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 20:42:48 -0000

Julian:
> Could you post a suitably nasty extract, whatever you
> think I might deserve ?

RR:
> Yeah, is it as bad as Gor?

I have never read the Wraethu books, but if they are anything like the Grigori trilogy, I'm not sure it's a good idea, gents. I bought them on a whim after listening to rather too much Fields of the Nephilim a while back. They are written by a lass, so they are not mysogenistic tosh, you understand, rather luridly penned crap which therefore qualifies as dark/erotic/fantasy/fiction. Thingymajig. And there's bugger all military activity, which makes them a pretty pointless read, if you ask me.

Here is a paragraph picked at random:

"Awareness of Taziel's nervousness rekindled a flame of lust in Daniel's belly. He felt exhausted but sensual, and beyond being angry with Taziel's lies. They were all together now, come good or bad. He knew Taziel wouldn't take the initiative now, because he was wary of rebuff, but he could tell that Taziel was thinking of their interrupted passion. Daniel waited until both boots were off before saying, 'We have something to finish, haven't we?'"

How romantic. Though the boots reference just has me thinking of Maximilian Schell in 'Cross of Iron'... Needless to say the next two pages get progressively worse, and modesty prevents me saying further. Though if kissing 'like a serpent, invasive and muscular' and movements 'slow, langorous, slippery' take your fancy, give it a go. Hey, you can have mine.

Off to read some hardcore limited war theory to cool me down...

Stu.