Troy

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_9RpBbI-D0Mu_ex9Qu3R0NQmUw-dGlLnyMNKCcNoCMfPNnfBwjCirc0qjbZ6p6>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 01:49:36 -0000

John wrote:
> Oh God, they're making 'Troy'. Do I have a bad feeling about this?

Have you seen the trailer?

http://troymovie.warnerbros.com

Actually, I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but at first glance it seems good fun. And I'm intrigued as to how Brad Pitt will get into character as a murderous psychotic bisexual transvestite. I believe his love interest is intact, however, and he's not there simply as Homeric hunkdom.

I must admit to being completely perplexed over the casting of Sean Bean as Odysseus. Now 'Oddy' (sorry Donald) is a clever, crafty fellow, no mistake--more so if anyone remembers the Tony Robinson and Richard Curtis adaptation of the '80s. So who do they get to play him? A bluff South Yorkshireman.

The problem with Sean is that I always see him as Richard Sharpe (or perhaps that's because he always plays his characters like Sharpe... or himself, Sharpe being a Londoner). In LotR I half expected him to turn around to Aragorn and say "Bloody 'ell Pat, I'll kill them Froggy bastards, I'll bloody kill 'em!"

As a warning, once he's led his 'chosen men' out of the wooden horse, don't be surprised if he cries "Right lads, 'pint o'rum fer first one tha' finds 'elen!"

Stu.