Re: Last Samurai

From: reinierd <reinierd_at_TcJdtx_dtvedQiRdrvBfS46WCXmyI9AhD0S8cmXIVvhCS2KAl_y793XFNR8EcjaoHe8>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:14:42 -0000

Of course, but 1) I'm wondering why I enjoyed it despite acknowledging some of its flaws, and 2) there's always something to learn from a thoughtful opinion that differs.

> Kurasawa aside, if I analysed one of my samurai genre favourites -
say> 'Baby Carriage at the River Styx'

Any others you recommend? Haven't seen this, would like to know the classics.

> My cultural antennae are moderately finely tuned, and one of the
joys of> Japanese film, to me, is that I can immerse myself in the bits I don't> understand, and be fascinated *because* I don't understand them. Obviously,> LS couldn't deliver on this.

It was a presentation of Japan that was easy for non-Japanophiles to understand. There was not a lot of Other, and I can see that would be boring for you. But I felt it was true in spirit. I have dealt with any number of Japanese like the Evil Politician (perfectly pitched), the beat-Tom-up rival, etc. They felt like real people. Er, okay, real movie people. :)

> lets face it the violence/swordplay is what most of us
> came to see.

Fer sure. But I like it pitched on the grittier side, with emotional and moral consequences. LS was no Yojimbo, but it was closer to Yojimbo than eg Rambo or Kill Bill. (KB *is* graphic, but IMHO not exactly gritty.) Admittedly Rambo is a low standard.

> I'm still out on the movie's moral core. I found it confused,
Yeah.

> because of the East meets West clash of values, and the selective
> appropriation of these values by Nathan.
Cafeteria morality. I guess I approached the film like a cafeteria, and took what I wanted.

> What's the message to the American audience, given the recent>
warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan? Does the film reflect any of that?

It certainly has a cynical view of the offical agenda for war(s). But then, yes, it gets lost. Cynicism is not enough.