Re: [OpenHeroQuest] Last Samurai

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_pXciXdI8Vj5iWSyNVf0fwsKvfelalTNgQ4IG_FqNgDpK__p6QN_9GRai4uV63E8hBxtsqU>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 21:19:19 +0100

John :

> In which our immoderator casts off any lingering vestiges of Realpolitik and
> reveals himself as an unabashed romantic: :)
>
> > > A generation on, the bushido values trumpeted by
> > > the film
> > > led to the Japanese invasion of China, Pearl Harbour, and beyond.
> >
> > No ; a corrupt interpretation of those values led to those events.
>
> Do tell more. Occasional references to peasants may help convince of your
> case. Also any reference to Chivalry where knights really did rescue
> princesses from towers would be appreciated.

Confusing LS with Shrek 2 ?!?

Naah, real bushido died in the 18th, not 19th century.

I understand that it's historically accurate that a few atavistic samurai existed until the late 19th and even early 20th century, but of course real bushido was starkly unresemblant of romanticism ...

And YES, dash it, I AM a romantic, and proud of it !!!

Julian

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.

... Real Life ?"