Esoterica

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_R89pr9LQdXN8qxW0k9HVk1uUeRLZPG9bsBS6-NR0xKsLM9dGFq1MVXYn8zb54IJJiA47.y>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 21:05:13 +0100

I am often told that I "have a history of <fill in the dotted line>"

:-(

Boring it is, but I am _sick and tired_ of one particular version of this, ie my so-called "agenda" to turn the Glorantha Digest into a platform for "esoterica only" ...

Whilst I cannot deny my interest in the more esoterical and/or arcane aspects of Glorantha, I feel that it's time for a few clarifications re: these tedious and repetitive accusations.

  1. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY : The esoterical critique of Glorantha is a thing of the past. The publication of HeroQuest has, IMO, provided us with a perfectly good, non-buggy cosmology, well suited to all imaginable gaming and/or Glorantha Lore purposes
    (Common Magic vs. Natural Magic clarification noted).
  2. The esoteric critique of Glorantha was (note past tense) very useful for the development of HeroQuest. The exact relationship(s) between the various worlds could not, for example & IMO, have been worked out as it has been without the contributions of all those who contributed to the sum total of the various sobjectivity threads ; including those like Nick Brooke who took a more pragmatic approach to the whole circus performance.

Although some aspects of heroquesting need, as I understand things, to be worked out for future publications, it is nevertheless
(IMO) self-evident to those of us with any real interest in these matters

that the foundation is now rock-solid, contrary to the situation when the names of the games were RuneQuest and/or Hero Wars.

3) From a personal point of view, the agenda that I _did_ have has been acheived. Whatever changes I wanted have been made
(or not) ; whatever cosmology problems I've pointed out have
been transcended ; whatever questions I had have been answered.

Whatever doubts I had have been clarified.

Most importantly, Greg has taken these issues, and dealt with them.

Efficiently, and according to his own plans.

More power to Greg !!

I retain my interest in these matters, and am therefore more likely to respond to threads peripherally linked to them than to other threads, but quite frankly, I no longer have anything of substance to contribute to the cosmology of Glorantha.

Whatever contributions I could make have been made.

The balance between Gloranthan Mysteries and GL explanations in "HeroQuest era Glorantha" is excellent. Greg & Friends have done brilliant work.

4) I have observed that, generally, the number of threads started by confused newbies wanting to know more about Gloranthan Ultimate Reality (or whatever) has declined to about 5-10 % of the original RQR-era volume.

:-)

This is on the one hand, the rightful triumph of "beer 'n' pretzels" Glorantha ; on the other hand, it is a quieter triumph for those of us who wanted a more coherent and interesting "deep" cosmology for our favourite game world. That cosmology now exists.

The cosmology is a rock-solid foundation for "beer 'n' pretzels" gaming, for the more discerning "beer 'n' pretzels" FRPG enthusiast.

5) Greg and Steve _listened_ to those of us who were going on and on about these cosmological issues ; and included our suggestions in HeroQuest.
And no, I was hardly the only one.

Glorantha is FAR more coherent than it ever was in the WB&RM/RQ2 period, or the Dark Ages between RQ2 and HQ.

6) This work is a thing of the past.

Work on the relationships between the various Elemental Ages of Glorantha

is the true foundation of the Hero Wars, of the various gaming supplements,
and the mythic core of all our HeroQuest games.

The important thing, now, is that it's a thing of the past. The work is done.
The poetic structure is finished.

Just accept it, and get over it. (And grow up, for those who need to.)

Those of us who know what was done also know that it doesn't need re-doing.

I personally am sick and tired of suggestions to the contrary.

This is the house that Greg built.

No-one wants to rip it down.

7) OTOH maybe this is just a steaming puddle of wank ?

8) Not that I expect the personal attacks to suddenly disappear.

Too many personal agendas to hope for that ... :-(

cheers,

Julian

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.