Troyboys and Buff Men in Leather Mini-Skirts

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_vKJHE6mlc8en4BfvnIjaTElAFTJkcl_mYhFKVIZWiVdAjSsYWcW6wLt2UAZegM-ic7rF>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 10:36:52 +1000

I've not yet seen 'Troy' the movie, though I've had a strong interest in the project since its early days, and have been soaking up the literary sources for Whitewall. I'm unlikely to get a chance to see it before Tentacles... much preparation still to do. Pip saw it yesterday though, and her response was extremely mixed.

I'm wondering what folks impressions are? The scriptwriters 'improve' on Homer of course, - we knew the gods were going to be sidelined, but so apparently is the entire Patroclus love affair - whether for 'story', G rating, or because there's already too much campy homoeroticism in Hollywood beefcake epics - I've no idea. And no Cassandra? - what a loss.

Still, CGI-enhanced epic story is back, which is good news for us, no matter the quality of individual offerings. If I were Virgil or Aeschylus I'd be calling my agent.

For some strange reason, the potential of buff men in leather mini skirts has never really been exploited by the Gloranthan commuity, despite the fact we're pretty much overrun by them. 'Powered by slash' may take on an entire new meaning, and a new demographic. And Troy may mean a resurgence in the Old Pavis/Citadel adventurer style of hoplon and short sword. In the 3d community, its suddenly easier to get hoplite- themed models, after three years being overun by archers with pointy ears.

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_ZNe2LLKABLUz8-Ji1pW29PdIVgRALfoTI77IRXoR--xSim4fv1MndPjwjwmD1Xd49FrhK2wrtwzBXM_D.yahoo.invalid John Hughes Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

Few bows will be stretched and not many will be the slings, when Ares at last brings war into the plain. The brutal work will be for swords. Our enemy yonder are masters of such warfare, lords of Euboia, famed for their spears.