Conan the Cantankerous

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_jJ9b4IHm5m74b8DEPL9Pf9W4ZwoGb7D2PZPnFGUkbz6Vn4tOYh0ktqx6Tolep>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:35:26 -0000

Keith:
> >FWIW I liked the LoTR films, but f you don't want whinging about a
> >adaptation I didn't like then don't mention Conan the Barbarian...

Peter...
> I thought Conan was alright and having read the original, I'm not
too
> sure what the fuss was about - feel free to elaborate...

I'd echo Peter here; I'm always intrigued in how people who have read the REH canon view 'Barbarian' and 'Destroyer' because, quite simply, most people I know simply haven't perused REH's Conan. Go on Keith!

Although Milius' Conan does depart quite heavily from certain trends in REH, I quite like various elements of 'Barbarian'. And good old Basil Poledouris' score tends to keep me enthused through thick and thin... even for a film that casts as its three central heroic leads a body-builder, a dancer and a surfer (leaving the 'actor' Mako to one side).

Stu.

P.S. I can't knock a film with Pat Roach playing a bad guy in it. Evil Priest of Set (CtB), Evil Man-Ape and Toth [sic] Amon (CtD), Evil Brytag (Red Sonja), Evil Sherpa (Raiders), Evil Nazi Mechanic (Raiders), Evil Thuggee Guard (Temple), Evil Gestapo Bloke (Last Crusade), Evil General Kael (Willow). The man deserves a medal for his services to pulp villainy.