Re: Dune - sigh

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_0dEE5nYNpM561mXv5iXpnxH0h-mp9Jk-uzYxQ1fLQuklmhhgbB440-oV8mNizr__tb8vMAa>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 01:04:22 -0000

Peter asks, incisively:

> But did the SciFi Channel adaptation have black rubber
> underpants?

Not as such. There *were* some absurd pantomime costumes (the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mommas reminded me strangely of Cher; the Mentats and sundry courtiers were a true waste of space), but they noticed a couple of minor things that had somehow eluded David Lynch:

  1. The Fremen are Arabs;
  2. Religious fundamentalist fanaticism isn't necessarily a good thing.

Also, they went on to film the first couple of sequels. I have an appreciable amount of time for their adaptation of "Children of Dune" (3 parts: 1 Messiah to 2 Children), too. Some things there were very right indeed: Arrakeen, Alia and the Baron, the Corrino remnants...

Good fun. Not as good as "Firefly" (but then again, what is?).

Nick sez, check it out.

Cheers, Nick