Re: New URL for HQ Greece wiki

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_fzHxsxQilNZY4NPSIvoV0cgIabbK5CwTLENQXL_y4QG20czhnZfzUhSvu2sr1jyBU6LJ_>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:34:23 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_6YuXMe1Zqh6mYM5W9toDihw8kKSyNc4B_t15cVb0aPrcAdmS4uqA7_0bFMLormay-wHFVDaYcjznGo69o1o-8A.yahoo.invalid>
> > OTOH, it looks like few could use Affinities or Feats for
> > direct, D&D-style, magic like killing at a distance without
> > using a bow or spear to hold the effect.
>
> So very few Devotees? Unless you, like some, hold to the idea that
> feats need a "focus" in any case. My Devotee of Humakt is happy to
> use Weapon Destroyer at range, and purely as magic (with SFX, of
> course), but others insist that it must be "held" in a missile
> weapon of some description, even if the Feat is the primary skill.
> YHQWV?
And Achaean Devotees do NOT know many feats, at least at the start of their career.

My Humakti Devotee can use Decapitate Foe just by flicking his finger, but none of the "Beloved of Ares" could (or at least it was never so reported). Hellas isn't Glorantha, by any stretch. OTOH, that spear throw of Achilles in Troy will do well enough. So

> > Most Homeric magic involved becoming Inspired by the
> > appropriate diety, which sounds like either Hero-forming or
> > else temporarily integrating a spirit or daemon
>
> Or "just" using an Affinity as an augment? A high-level augment?

Except that Diomedes was once aided greatly in the Illiad merely by being given the ability to recognize those who were gods (in the Greek view, anyone inspired "becomes" a god, temporarily, even a poet friend of Socrates who always got inspired reading Homer. I forget which Dialogue that was in, unfortunately). This implies a lot of people with high-level augments, many of whom seem to be normally quite mundane, or else a lot of inspiration spirits. The latter sounds better to me for HQ-Hellas.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail