All over the Place really...

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_zEwmUFk5lFWwWS0OIkUEWvUH3nQJei-gBXLntYzF1xaR2oxc0_js7TetCkEzbTJam0mx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:18:51 +1000

jorganos wrote:

> Finland in winter is usually colder than the Far Place, but the
>
>darkness from Far Point cloud cover is a point to your favour.

Let's face it, Finland in winter is usually colder than just about anywhere -wondering if the Canuks on the list will get all defensive. :)

>My image of Bluefoot forests is a lot less subarctic, however, a
>tangle of vines, moss, and crooked trees. Some of the
>Kalevala-inspired pieces fit (but then parts of the kalevala may have
>been set in Estland, too, which seems to have less subarctic forests.)

You're getting serious, which is a (ahem) serious breach of list protocol. :). Its the primacy of the forest itself, the isolation, the backwoods primalism that I nicked from the Kalevala. And of course, the metres. :) Less Subarctic certainly. Vines aren't a big part of my vision - its giganticism and Darkness vegetation from Dagori Inkarth that give it its extra crunchy flavour -

http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/florafauna.html

>If you go for contemporal music, the original pieces of Apocalyptica
>(four Finnish cellist famous for covering Metallica) go some way in
>the right direction.

Waaaah! Seems as perfect as 'March of the Sinister Ducks' - which as Graham pointed out, is available on Neil Gaiman's site.

Everyone thinks they're such sweet little things Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Soft downy feathers and nice little wings Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
But there's a poison I'd like to administer You think they're cuddly but I think they're sinister Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!

What are they doing at night in the park? Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Think of them waddling about in the dark Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Sneering and whisp'ring and stealing your cars Reading pornography, smoking cigars

Nasty and small and deserving of bile
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
They smirk at your hairstyle and sleep with your wife Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Dressed in plad jackets and horrible shoes Getting divorces and turning to booze.
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!

Forcing old ladies to throw them some bread Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Who could deny they'd be better off dead! Ducks! Ducks! Qa-qa, qa-qa!
Look closer and you will recoil in surprise Web footed fascists with death in their eyes! Ducks! ducks!....

Peloria is a lot like Neil Gaiman. :)

Need coffee.
Need... therapy....

John

nysalor_at_wvvRf6Yy2dNvALg5KFvyfNTs_duZB5ngaa2XqzpKjcQcxozKolpnStOKGboPGPifDCktv65MyLUV-Di-a1f4kQ.yahoo.invalid John Hughes Questlines: http://home.iprimus.com.au/pipnjim/questlines/

... a flying arrow, a crashing wave, night old ice, a coiled snake, a bride's bed talk, a broken sword, the play of bears, a king's son.