RE: [ImmoderateHeroQuest] The Vision Thing: Perrenial Questions and Inconsistent Answers

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_bHoG_UlK1GAjBx18YktX8CIDTuSw7mQgxziN4bP3hWZ920Y36NN8kd6DdexpI>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 06:49:11 +0100

> Any creative enterprise engaging a multitude of minds
> separated across
> time and space will always be rife with contradiction. All in
> all, we do
> pretty well. 'YGMV' is both a game necessity and a powerful tool in
> co-creating our shared universe.

And "GaG" is another. It works.

> 1. We never thought this one through.
>
> Time, calendars, and seasons for a start.

(sigh) but it's far too deeply entrenched to alter now. Though that goes for many other things which II/Greg have then altered anyway...

Probably quite a few other things that are great in isolation, but clash horribly when put together. Not that I can think of any off-hand.

"It looked like a cool idea so I threw it in without thinking": which is why if you use all current background material, Kheldon PCs are now unplayable, and existing campaigns set there got wrecked. So you laugh hysterically and pass on by... Someday no doubt II will produce a scenario that requires that bit of idiocy as part of the background, and then wonder why no-one plays it.

> Tawdry fetishisation of the GL secret aside (it doesn't work anymore
> guys), some things just shouldn't be known. But we all know about the
> gamer mentality. A pity, because for me this can be one of
> Glorantha's biggest charms.

Sadly the GLS has been presented as "yes, there's an answer, but we're not going to tell you, because we're the elite and you're a bunch of plebs." I don't particularly want to know what Greg thinks it is, but I do object to being treated like that.

> 4. Its answered in 'X'.
>
> Except 'X' was published in 1983. And never reprinted.
>
> II does a great job with old materials through its website.

And the various lists fill in the gaps.

> But this can
> be a pain, especially for new players and GMs.

It can take a while to realise that the way to find out about X is to ask for some references on one of the lists. And within a few days, all is supplied, complete with relevant quotes and commentary on accuracy.

> 'I forgot' is a bigger one that any of us probably care to admit.

"We didn't bother to get it checked" is another. Which is why the errata happen - those who might have checked see it *after* publication.

> What, you think I get paid for this?

II are pretending that they *are* doing this as a business, remember? Everyone else has that excuse. As long as they want to keep up that pretence, they don't.